Friday, June 14, 2013

Judgey Judgey

I was embarrassed by a little girl the other day. Like... maybe 10 years old. I'm still not too proud of myself for the way my heart reacted- even a week later. Here's how it went down:

Henry (8 1/2 months) and I were out at the fountain near our house playing and splashing in the water...with about 25 of our neighborhood children. It was chaotic to say the least. I was holding Henry under the armpits as he splashed and played along. Up walks a little girl who looks at Henry and starts flirting. This is nothing new, as my son is pretty freaking adorable. Anyway- She asked if he was able to walk on his own. I sweetly said "no, not yet! He's learning though! He's still learning to crawl!" I thought this was a normal response and figured she had no idea at what age babies walked anyway. But- the little lady looked at me with some serious judgement and stated:

"My cousin is ten months and shes walking."

ugh. The dreaded comparison and judgement based of what your child is doing. Yes, this was a little girl, but I feel like this has been a constant in my new motherhood life since Hank was born. And its so sad because I feel like moms do this all the time. I wonder if we are so worried about our kids and their progress that we feel the need to constantly compare and point out ways our little one is more advanced. Or if we see our parenting as the best and most obvious way to raise babies. Regardless- it breaks my mommy heart. Because we, as mothers, should be building each other up- not judging based on whether a mom put sunscreen on diligently enough. Its sad, really. A few things I hear around parks and pediatrician waiting rooms:

"Oh, you aren't breastfeeding anymore? Are you sure you tried everything?"
"Wow- 15 months and you're still breastfeeding.... that seems long..."
"You don't make your own baby food?"
"You still rock her to sleep?"
"Here's what you should do..."

I wish we could put a stop to this momma drama. I struggled with breastfeeding from day one- and I am incredibly happy I was able to make it to 6 months. For me- that was a victory. But I consistently felt I had to justify myself in certain settings. I still feel that way. And giving up breastfeeding was hardest mainly because I felt that I was letting Henry down. Not necessarily because of the actual act of giving him formula rather the breast milk, but based on the fact that everyone said its was I should be doing. But once I stopped- I was able to be a more relaxed mother. And Henry has been just fine. I don't think we should label moms, put them in boxes, or throw anymore judgement their way. After all- aren't we just doing the best we can?








3 comments:

  1. Amen sista!!! Wasn't but a week ago I was crying in the drive way over similar judgement. Do I need to feel bad about giving my kids french fries on occasion...(maybe) but at least I fed them something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is your son, and he was given to you as a gift because God trusted you to take care of him and raise him. You and Paul are doing a good job. Don't let the haters get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog via a friend.. I think you are friends with Joy Young... as am I! :)

    Anyhooo... LOVE this post. I would also love to say it gets better as they get older. Sadly it does not. BUT.. how you respond to it and learn from it gets better!!

    And by the way.. my firstborn and I just could NOT figure out the whole breastfeeding thing either.. I lasted 10 weeks. On Thursday she got an award for being one of the smartest Kindergarteners in her class. I am sure it was the formula I fed her...haha!! My second one came out 2 pounds heavier and starving and never once had a bottle... just me for 14 months. Different kids..different stuff. That's my motto!!

    All God's best to you as you navigate this journey of mommyhood!! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete